Wednesday, January 12, 2011

A girl and a hammer. A husband and a drywall patch-kit. And some gorgeous print options.

I love wall prints. No shocker there. What I don't love is the fact that apparently, drywall doesn't hold prints in heavy frames all too well. I found this out the hard way when I hit the first couple of nails into our (new!) drywall. It is truly amazing how big a hole a fairly small nail can rip into a wall when not nailed into a stud. My husband quietly handed me a stud finder, got the drywall mud and spatula back out and fixed the gaping holes. Then he sanded and painted the wall (again). Sigh.

As awesome as it is to have a husband who can fix almost everything, I don't fully appreciate having STUDS determine where I can and cannot hang pictures. 24 on center, phewww. It would be so nice to just grab my little lady hammer and quickly hang up a picture without having to arm myself with a stud finder, hooks, wire and anchors. But I found the perfect solution!!! Lightweight and totally awesome gallery wraps, standouts and float wraps that saved our walls as well as our sanity!

gallery wrap,vermont wedding barn

Above is a gallery wrap where the actual photographic print is bonded to canvas and wrapped around the wood frame - the actual photo extends to the frame. Lightweight and it looks awesome. Love it. Another plus: no glass to clean so it can just be dusted off. It's also UV coated so the print won't fade.

Standouts (pictured below) are even lighter than gallery wraps because they're made from lightweight foam banded with a Black, White, Light Wood, or Stainless edge and they come ready to display with hanging holes on the backside. Super easy, no stud finder here. A win - win - win. For myself, the drywall (or our property's value) and my suffering husband.

standout wedding photos

Float wraps (below) are another super cool contemporary option. Float Wraps are similar to Gallery Wraps or Standout mounted prints in that they add dimension by extending out from the wall. Float wraps are unique in that they appear to be floating on the wall with the main focus on the image!
Float Wraps are created by wrapping the photographic print or canvas print around masonite to create a thin wrap - then comes a neat block that creates the "floating" effect. The back of the block also contains drilled holes for hanging. My dreams have been answered!

floatwrap wedding photo print

Ok, I'm off to hang some great prints without collateral damage (not including my own thumbs - still working on that one). Happy home decorating.

Kat
Kingdom Wedding Photography

3 comments:

  1. Dear wife of mine: The studs in our house are 16 on center not 24...Either way I am happy not to have to fix the walls up any more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you ;-) And this is why you are in charge of fixing things around here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You two are too funny.

    ReplyDelete